Parents of children with special need want more than a “one-size-fits-all" model of childcare. They require high quality, flexible care that is tailored to their child’s specific needs. PROaupair’s Special Needs Childcare program specialises in matching Australian families with live-in professional au pairs who are trained and interested in caring for children with special needs.
PROaupair’s professional au pairs have degrees in paediatric nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, early childhood education, special needs education and more. They are trained to work with children with a variety of special needs including autism, ADD/ADHD, Down syndrome, diabetes, epilepsy and seizures, extreme/undiagnosed disabilities, and other mental and physical delays. Our au pairs are also adept at balancing the needs of all the children in the family – with or without special needs.
Candidates in our Special Needs Childcare program have significant experience and training that can include:
- Following up on therapy homework
- Managing medication
- Establishing routines
- Providing support with feeding tubes
- Adapting the child’s environments
- Customising activities
- Demonstrating positive behaviour
- Hygiene care
- Preparing meals
- Going to therapy appointments
- Helping to achieve developmental milestones
- Assisting with therapeutic stretching and exercises
- Monitoring progress through an activities log
For more information about our Special Needs Childcare program, click here.